Bacteria can thrive during all times of the year in all areas of your facility. Letting contagious diseases like the flu spread from one person to many of the students or staff members is preventable. Proper disinfection of your facility can prevent waves of sickness from hitting your center.
1. KEEP THE AREA VENTILATED
Be sure there is proper air flow in the classrooms. Switch on exhaust fans to enhance air flow, and open the windows as often as possible. Do this before and after disinfecting the classroom.
2. HELPING SICK STUDENTS
If you are helping a student that is sick, try to avoid contact with his or her bodily fluids, and wash your hands after making contact. Encourage all students to practice good hand hygiene, washing their hands for at least 20 seconds each time they use the bathroom, when they cough or sneeze and before and after they eat. Disinfect any areas of the classroom that could become contaminated by a bodily fluid with a chlorine bleach solution.
3. CLEANING SURFACES
Routinely cleaning all surfaces in classrooms, kitchens, bathrooms and other areas helps keep staff and students safe from contagious disease.
- Take any items sitting on surfaces out.
- Sweep and dust the area to remove surface dust and dirt. This makes deep cleaning faster and more effective.
- Using a chlorine bleach solution (one tablespoon of bleach in one gallon of water), begin at high points and work to lower ones, changing the solution when necessary. Concentrate on frequently touched surfaces like door handles, desks and faucets.
- Mop the floor using the bleach solution.
- Thoroughly wipe objects you removed using the bleach solution. When dry, replace everything.
4. COMMON AREAS
Be sure that any area of the building that is commonly touched is disinfected at least once a day. This includes water fountains, light switch plates, computer keyboards and other common surfaces.
Consider asking families to donate one container of disinfecting wipes so you will always have an ample supply throughout the year.
Contact Carriage Trade Insurance if you have any questions about Daycare Insurance.