Why Do I Need Personal Auto Insurance?
Every vehicle owner needs personal auto insurance - in the U.S., most states mandate vehicle owners to carry at least basic auto insurance for their vehicle. Auto insurance helps protect you financially when driving your car (or someone else’s), covering you and your family members listed on your policy.
What Does Personal Auto Insurance Cover?
- Only personal driving: Your vehicle is covered only in the case of non-commercial activities, such as running errands, driving to work, or traveling. It does not provide coverage if you use your vehicle for commercial deliveries (like pizza delivery or DoorDash) or transportation through ridesharing (such as Uber or Lyft).
- Mandated liability coverages: The most basic personal auto insurance that you are generally legally required to obtain provides the following liability coverage (although this varies among states):
- Bodily Injury Coverage: Covers injuries caused to others because of your vehicle (when you are at fault).
- Property Damage Coverage: Pays for damages to others’ property caused by your vehicle.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: Pays for your injuries/damage to your car caused by uninsured/hit-and-run drivers (legally required only in some states).
Basic personal insurance usually only covers the damage your car causes to other parties – this means that damage caused to your vehicle is not covered. However, to protect your vehicle against the costs of such damages, you can add on optional coverages, such as:
- Collision Coverage: As the name implies, this covers the cost of damages to your vehicle as the result of a collision where you’re at fault. It also covers certain other damages (like from potholes) but does not cover normal wear-and-tear or mechanical failure.
- Glass Coverage: This reimburses you for any windshield damage you may bear. Some policies even include protection for side windows, rear windows, and glass sunroofs.
To gain even more protection for your car, consider getting comprehensive auto coverage. This type of policy covers theft and damage to your vehicle for other reasons apart from collision (such as floods, hailstorms, vandalism, falling debris, fire, and even asteroids!)
Get Your Vehicle Insured Today
Let us help you get your vehicle insured with the coverage that suits you best! Contact us today at 516.358.3612 or email@example.com to learn more about our coverage options.