Work Zone Driving
· During the past 5 years in work zone crashes more than:
· 4,400 persons died (85 percent of which was the driver or passenger)
· 200,000 persons were injured
· Drivers are the most frequent fatality in work zone crashes
· Most work zone fatalities involve working-age adults
· Rear-end crashes (running into the rear of a slowing or stopping vehicle) are the most common type of work zone crash.
· Fatal work zone crashes occur most often in summer and fall.
· The majority of fatal work zone crashes occurred on roads with speed limits greater than 50 mph.
· Stopping distance for motor vehicles at 50 mph:
· Dry roadway~300 feet
· Wet roadway~400 feet
· Icy pavement~1250 feet
· A loaded 80,000 lb. tractor-trailer requires almost 50 percent more stopping distance.
· It takes only an extra 25 seconds to cover 1 mile at 45 mph compared to 65 mph.
Safety Tips for the Driver
Remember these driving tips to avoid "A Sudden Change in Plans" and perhaps save a life including your own!
Stay Alert and Minimize Distractions
· Dedicate your full attention to the roadway
· Avoid changing the radio station, using a mobile phone, eating, or other distractions that can remove your concentration from the road
Keep Your Headlights On
Pay Attention to the Road
· "Listen to the signs"
· Watch brake lights on vehicles ahead
· Watch traffic around you and be prepared to react
Merge into the Proper Lane
· Merge well before you reach the lane closure
· Be aware that traffic patterns can change daily
· Follow other vehicles at a safe distance
Obey the Posted Speed Limit
· Workers may be present just feet away
· Fines may be doubled for moving traffic violations
· Be prepared to slow down further if conditions indicate the need
Change Lanes Safely
· Change lanes only where pavement markings indicate, and only when traffic conditions permit
Follow Instructions from Flaggers
Expect the Unexpected
· Workers, work vehicles, or equipment may enter your lane without warning
· Other vehicles may slow, stop, or change lanes unexpectedly