Going green in the workplace involves more than just recycling paper or putting computers on sleep mode to conserve electricity. The initiative concerns the overall working environment, too. In fact, creating a green working atmosphere increases the overall health condition of the office and has been shown to reduce costs and heighten employee productivity.
By working in a green building, you are making a positive impact on the environment while benefiting your employees. With increased sunlight in an office setting as opposed to unnatural lighting, workers show less depression and are able to focus more quickly and easily. Recent studies show that green practices and work environments lead to reduced absenteeism, depression and stress, as well as increased employee productivity overall.
To increase workplace productivity, try these earth-friendly tips in your office today:
- avoid using noxious plastics, paints and adhesives when you are designing the office or re-building
- place indoor gardens and/or lots of natural foliage around the office - this will also increase air quality
- use window blinds that capture and reflect light into office spaces
- place mirrors or heliostats on the roof that follow the path of the sun and reflect it into the building
- situate workstations near windows so that employees have some exposure to natural light
- increase air flow throughout the office and make sure you are providing good ventilation for your employees - this is also good for preventing the spread of germs in the office
- use nontoxic cleaning products throughout the building
- send digital files instead of paper handouts to eliminate clutter & waste
- encourage employees to take the stairs rather than the elevator - it saves energy and promotes physical activity
Let us know how you incorporate green initiatives into your workplace.
Contact Carriage Trade Insurance to learn more about our Business Insurance options.