A natural disaster or security risk could happen any day at your facility. It is imperative that you have a plan to handle these potential risks, both to ensure the safety of your students and staff and to avoid a financial crisis that could shut down your facility. To prepare for the unexpected, you should review your security and disaster plans.
PHYSICAL SECURITY OF YOUR BUILDING
Bomb threats, suspicious devices and terrorism are just a few threats to the physical property of your facility. Taking appropriate measures to ensure security includes:
- Survey locks, fences, exterior lights and other physical security devices to ensure that they are in place when needed and in proper operating condition. Establish monthly inspections of these protective features.
- Establish strict visitor control procedures (sign-ins, name badges, escorts)
- Review your procedures for issuing facility keys and access cards
- If you are planning on building a new facility or renovating, make sure security & disaster relief are a focus in the plans
With the growing trend of bullying, and highly-publicized school violence, it is important to consider the following precautions:
- Install metal detectors at entrances to the facility, if needed
- Hire security guards to monitor activity
- Enforce student conduct and dress code policies
- Train staff to be observant of the warning signs of potentially violent student behavior
- Educate students about violence
OTHER CRIMINAL ACTIVITY
Be aware of criminal activity that occurs within 1,000 feet of school property. This can include crimes such as gang activity, selling drugs and physical assaults.
FIRES & HAZARDOUS MATERIALS
Conduct monthly fire drills with your local fire department and take the following precautions:
- Pay special attention to areas where you may be storing flammable or toxic chemicals
- Make sure your security and fire alarm systems are running properly
- Have your local fire department conduct a visit to identify potential hazards of your facility
Be prepared with an emergency response plan can help you act quickly in the event of various incidents at your facility.
Contact Carriage Trade Insurance to learn more about our Daycare Insurance and School Insurance options.