Wednesday March 20, 2019 is the First Day of Spring. This means it’s time to for a fresh, clean start for your house. Sometimes the idea of cleaning can be daunting but the results are rewarding.
Here are some tips to help you start and finish your Spring Cleaning goals.
1. First, grab boxes to be organized and label each box. Some categories you can use for your labeling are Donations, Garbage, Repair and Storage.
2. Put away winter clothes and jackets and bring out the spring clothes.
3. Start to dust ceilings paying attention to the corners, wipe down bookshelves and desks. Throw your curtains and drapes into the wash they accumulate dust too!
4. Vacuum the rugs and carpets and mop the floors. Remember to vacuum the back of the rugs too and use safe cleaning supplies without harsh fumes.
5. Soak pots and pans that have accumulated grime in warm soapy water. Then use lemon with some salt or baking powder and scrub away the grime. Try this on your cutting boards too!
6. Declutter those junk drawers and throw away items that you thought you would use but never actually used. Minimize additions by asking yourself the same question before keeping the item.
7. Cleaning upholstery can be tricky! First, use a vacuum to pick up the dust then tackle the stains using a soapy vinegar solution by blotting NOT rubbing at the stains.
8. If you have kids, sit with them and get in the practice of donating at least half of their toys that they don’t play with anymore. Use the 3 day rule!
9. One thing we don’t think about is wiping down the vacuum and cleaning our brooms. The last thing you want is to think you are cleaning but actually adding more dust. Rinse your brooms into soapy water or dispose of it if it’s in really bad condition.
10. Most importantly, be safe! Use gloves and protect your eyes while cleaning. Read the warning labels on cleaning products and avoid using those with toxic fumes.
Contact Carriage Trade Insurance for our Homeowners Insurance