When you're preparing to leave for a vacation, it's easy to overlook basic home safety precautions. To protect your home while you're away and enjoy a worry-free trip, keep these tips in mind:
1. Unplug small appliances and electronic devices.
2. Stop the newspaper and the mail. You can do this online at the U.S. Postal Service's website.
3. Lock all of your windows & doors.
4. Arrange to have your lawn mowed or snow shoveled.
5. Have a neighbor keep an eye on your home throughout the trip.
6. Remove any house keys you keep outside your home, even if you think they're in a safe place.
7. Set timers on inside lights and install a motion-activated sensor on outdoor flood lights.
8. Avoid posting photos of your tip on social media until after you return home.
9. Consider turning off your home's water.
10. Raise the temperature on your thermostat or turn the system off completely. This ensures that you aren't paying to cool your home while you're away.
Taking the proper precautions before you go on vacation can make all the difference when it comes to preventing damage to your home. Accidents can happen, so it's always important to have adequate insurance coverage.
Contact Carriage Trade Insurance if you have any questions about our Homeowners Insurance options.